Central shops is an extensively equipped metal and fabrication shop, it is located in rooms 184, 186, 188, 190. Equipped with CNC mill and CNC lathe along with a metal working section with a brake, sheer, punches and welder. A wood and composite section with bead blaster, grinders, saws and a paint booth. Also access to 3D printers and laser cutter. Central shops is for support with school and faculty projects, as well as onsite manufacturing equipment. Central shops can help not only with manufacture but design and purchasing of necessary hardware and offsite manufacturing if necessary.
Services available to faculty and staff include equipment repair and maintenance, manufacture and fabrication of consumables for labs and research, special event support, engraving for signage and directories and door lock programming.
To start a service request, visit iSupport and select the appropriate “Service Request” and fill out all necessary information. The more information the better, also add all files pertaining to the job.
Typical process for manufactured parts will start with the iSupport request. Either a phone call or email will be used to contact for questions or to schedule a meeting to clarify the job. Please be aware your SJSU email will be the main emailed used. Once the part is finalized central shop will quote and come to an estimated cost and time needed and then an email for approval will be sent to the supervisor or lead of the student. Once approved the job can be started. It is a first come first serve basis unless special circumstances are brought about and other jobs are fine with the delay.
Finalized and 3D drawings are not necessary to start a job. Written concept and crude drawings are fine to start with but the more complete the drawings the faster we start making parts. Central Shop can help with final design and drawings. A finalized drawing is mandatory for parts to be made and to start the job but there is help to get to that point. There is also an inventory of material in house and its pertaining cost. This list is an ongoing project and will be updated as quickly as possible, but do not assume it will be available until you have received confirmation from central shop. Also not all material listed is accessible to all departments.
Neil Peters, Building and Safety Specialist, Central Shops Supervisor
Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Kyle Meininger, Manufacturing Lead in Central Shops
Hours: 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Jonathan Rye, Technician, Central Shops
Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM
- Courtyard gate hours are M-F 7:00am - 10:00pm; Closed Weekends
- Parking permits are strictly enforced. Vehicles without permit will be ticketed and/or towed
- Courtyard is not considered a parking lot. Large trucks enter each day and need space to turn around.
- Parking permits are required for all vehicles
- You may leave your car in the courtyard up to 15-30 minutes to load and unload
- For parking permits please contact Central Shops via iSupport
- Dumpster is designated for garbage and cardboard recycling.
- This dumpster is not designated for any no motor oil waste, chemical waste or e-waste.
- Do NOT leave items around the dumpster. Contact central shops via iSupport for assistance discarding large items
- Furniture removal and e-waste requests must be submitted via iSupport
- Painting is NOT allowed in the courtyard.
- There is a paint booth in the central shops E184 that can be used for painting. Contact central shops via iSupport
- The campus recognizes a No Smoking Policy.
- Smoking and vaping is not allowed anywhere on campus, this includes the Courtyard.
- All smoking and vaping must be off campus.